For grammar or vocab practise, any level. 1-1 tutoring, tutor can play with the S.
T prepared list of questions, or a dice with grammar cues.
T briefly revises the grammar point to be practised, with the Ss.
Draw a 4x4 grid on the board, mark the rows A-D and the columns 1-4.
Explain how to choose a square, practise – A1= square at the top left corner
Explain the goal is for a team to win one line – horizontal, vertical or diagonal.
T chooses three squares (and keeps the squares a secret!)
– two where the player is swallowed by the earthquake (lose their square)
– one where the player is rescued from the rubble, and the team gets the square free
Explain idea of ‘earthquake’ squares to the Ss!
Divide the class into two teams. Choose a colour or mark for each team, to mark winning squares.
How to play:
- The first player/team chooses their square, the T asks the question and the student answers, or roles the dice and the player makes a sentence. (this can be individual or teamwork). Ss can either say the sentence, or write it on the board. If the sentence is correct the team wins the square.
- The other team listens and challenges if the sentence is not correct. If they can correct the sentence, they can score the square.
- If a player chooses an ‘earthquake’ square, they celebrate the victory or bear the consequences!
- First team to win a line, wins!