Looking for the competitive edge in Australian and overseas ESL employment? Enrol in 10695NAT – Certificate IV in TESOL and get the very best in TESOL training. This nationally accredited Certificate IV includes a 6 hour teaching observation and a 6 hour teaching practicum equipping you to teach in ESL/ELICOS schools both nationally and internationally.
This course is the perfect entry into a career in accredited ESL teaching including areas such as: General English, Conversation English, Grammar and Pronunciation teaching, lesson planning and materials development and much more. All of this to train you in the role of ESL teacher and towards becoming a Head Teacher.
*Please note: required qualifications & experience may vary between education institutions
With this qualification you will also gain a direct pathway, with 9 credit units, towards the 10688NAT – Diploma of TESOL.
An incredible partnership for you!
This course is a collaboration between TESOL Australia and Language Training Institute LTi two passionate leaders in the TESOL industry. Delivery of this course will be through LTI RTO Provider No. 3017, the first and original creators and trainers of the Certificate IV in TESOL, in Australia. They will be your trainers while you study this course. The reason for this collaboration is because we know that when you study a TESOL course, that is only one step in your complete journey in the TESOL industry.
We are absolutely committed to being your support and mentor through the entire process. Whether you are wanting to become a TESOL teacher and/or will eventually start your own TESOL training organisation.
This Certificate IV course provides you with all the resources and tools you will need:
- All materials (absolutely NO extra charges for online textbooks)
- Unlimited trainer support
- Practicum options that are completely compliant with ELICOS/ASQA/NEAS standards
- Beautifully printed certificate posted to your address (both in Australia and overseas)
- Job support* includes guaranteed job interview for teaching Online
For those finding it difficult to pay the full amount upfront. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for payment options.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) leverages your previous studies and experience to give you a reduced study load.
To determine whether your particular qualifications and/or experience are applicable, email email@example.com and request an RPL pack.
This course may be funded in full or part by a Job Agency, Government or Private organization (Disability, Military, Voluntary…) check with any organization you are associated with.
Course delivery and timing
The 10695NAT Certificate IV in TESOL is offered Online with:
- Personalised training – one-on-one phone and online support with a fully qualified and experienced TESOL professional
- Any location – study in the comfort of your own home or a chosen location
- Commencement – no set start dates or intake, begin whenever YOU want
- Self-paced study – accelerate your study or take your time. You have up to 2 years to complete your course
- Practicum options
How our unique online learning works
- You will receive an email with login details for the Learning Portal
- You will have access to all course materials, training videos & assessments
- You will work through your downloadable assessments (allowing you to work offline as well as online)
- You will submit your assessment document through the Learning Portal
- Your trainer will mark your assessment and email you feedback
- If there are still some areas that are ‘Not Yet Competent’, your trainer will give you guidance in what is required to complete the task
Your practicum, your way.
The 10695NAT Certificate IV in TESOL comes with a 6 hr teaching observation and a 6 hr teaching practice, to prepare you in your ESL teaching role.
As part of your online theory training, you will have the option of completing the 6 hr teaching observation through guided videos to prepare you for your 6 hr teaching practice.
The 6 hr teaching practice is then completed with 5 or more English as a Second Language learners (International students/migrants) in an in-class setting.
To complete the 6 hr teaching practice you can choose one of the following options:
1. Free: Self-arranged 6 hr teaching practice at an ESL school, TAFE or migrant/community centre observed by a qualified TESOL teacher (support provided in how to find and arrange your own teaching practicum). [drop down feature stating ‘More info’ (This may be your own workplace with ESL students or find a school willing to allow you to do the practice teaching free. Qualified TESOL teacher – ELICOS standards – degree any field, Cert IV in TESOL or higher TESOL qualification)
2. Pay an additional $150 fee for assessment of your own self-arranged video recorded 6 hr teaching practice (support given in how to set up and conduct the lessons). [drop down with ‘More info’] (click here for practicum brochure explaining how to set up and conduct your own practicum lessons)
3. Pay an additional $350 fee for an arranged Practicum experience: This fee is payable after completion of your theory units or prior to the start of the Practicum (whichever comes first). [Drop down stating ‘More info’] (This fee covers arrangements made with institutions or supervisors who make it possible for you to gain access to their time, facilities and students. A very professional addition to your resume which can pay off in the long run when applying for teaching positions.
Don’t be caught out completing a cheaper TESOL course only to find that there is no additional practicum option provided and that, you cannot graduate until you complete a practicum. Or, complete a practicum that does not meet NEAS/ELICOS standards, which may result in ELICOS schools not accepting your qualification.
NEAS contact for practicum standards: 1300 76 44 45.
TESOL teaching will take you to and allow you to work in far more places than just about any other job on the planet. There is a lot of variety in the type of work you can do once you start your career as a TESOL teacher.
TESOL teaching work is available all year round and the demand for teachers in China and other Asian countries is huge constantly expanding. In Europe and South America there is a consistent need for TESOL teachers as well as in the Middle East.
The demand for Online TESOL teachers is increasing rapidly with new online schools starting up almost daily around the globe.
In Australia ESL work is constantly available in all cities and major regional areas. Anywhere, you find universities and TAFE colleges with international students there will be a need for TESOL teachers. If you are looking for an in-demand job then TESOL teaching is for you!
The countries and positions that you can work in with the 10695NAT Certificate IV in TESOL will vary depending on your additional education outside of the course.
See ‘Job prospects’ below for a non-exhaustive list:
- Online (anywhere)
- Study tours (Australia & overseas)
- Japan (if under 30)
- Czech Republic
- Online (anywhere)
- Japan (any age)
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
- Saudi Arabia
The 10695NAT Certificate IV in TESOL will qualify you to teach in the following TESOL fields:
- All levels within General English (GE)
- Teaching Adults
- Teaching Children
- Teaching online
- Teaching in TAFE (A Bachelor’s degree plus Certificate IV in Training & Assessment may be required)
- ESL assistant teacher in government schools (may need Certificate III in Education support) (For full time work in Victoria see your local schools for more info)
Certificate IV in TESOL – ESL/ELICOS teacher (Direct Credit into Diploma of TESOL)
Diploma of TESOL – Head teacher ESL/ELICOS centre (Direct Credit into Master of TESOL)
Master of TESOL – Academic Manager ESL/ELICOS centre
*Qualification and experience requirements may vary between education institutions and countries
Upgrade option into the 10688NAT - Diploma of TESOL
Once you have completed the 9 Core units in the 10695NAT Certificate IV in TESOL, you can choose to upgrade directly into the nationally accredited LTi 10688NAT – Diploma of TESOL.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on upgrading or completing the 10688NAT – Diploma of TESOL.
Materials and content
Upon completion of this course you will receive a beautifully printed certificate and Academic Transcript sent to your chosen address.
The certificate is a fully accredited 10695NAT Certificate IV in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).
This course will be conducted via the LTi Learning Portal.
All assessments, guidebooks and forms will be provided downloadable in Microsoft Word and pdf format. (use open office.org (free) if you do not use Microsoft Office).
Both Mac and PC computers are supported.
The 10695NAT Certificate IV in TESOL course content has been created by LTi with passion through a collaboration of experienced TESOL professionals who have worked in the industry both in Australia and overseas.
Frustrated that many TESOL courses and/or training does not meet the current TESOL industry needs for ESL/ELICOS/NEAS accredited schools in Australia, TESOL Australia consulted with industry professionals on the ground including Academic Managers and owners of ESL/ELICOS schools in Australia to determine the most up-to-date types of assessment and resources that would be required to accurately reflect the curriculum, syllabus, teaching techniques and resources currently used in ESL teaching in Australia while still being relevant for teaching overseas and as a result now offer the LTi Certificate IV in TESOL.
Great care has been taken to offer a course that ensures:
- All content meets the qualification and standard requirements (ASQA/NEAS/ELICOS)
- All content is relevant to ESL in Australia
- All resources included are ‘authentic’ materials currently used in actual Australian ESL/ELICOS schools to ensure you are up-to-date with current teaching
- Excerpts included from published ESL teaching course books to help you prepare for the ‘real’ classroom
- The teaching practicum is conducted in a ‘real’ ESL teaching environment by TESOL professionals
Through completion of this unit you will be able to understand the relationships between language and culture, language and learning. It addresses the impact these dynamics have on the ESL classroom, and applications within ESL teaching.
Analyse the English Language gives an understanding of the functional nature of the English language. Study of this unit also provides knowledge on the language choices that are associated with a variety of social or functional purposes. In addition, this unit also provides basic knowledge of TESOL methodology and the application to specific learning goals.
This unit comprehensively addresses specific aspects of English grammar. You will gain knowledge of the practical techniques required to familiarise ESL students with a variety of grammatical concepts.
Through completion of this unit you will be able to understand the sound-spelling relationships in English. You will also learn how to apply techniques required to teach and spelling and pronunciation.
Teach speaking explores the functional nature of spoken language use. You will learn practical techniques required for developing the spoken English skills of ESL learners.
This unit will assist you to understand and apply practical techniques required to develop listening skills and strategies
Through completion of this unit you will be able to understand and apply the practical techniques for developing the skill to read a range of authentic or published texts.
In the unit teach writing you will undertake analysis of written texts. You will also learn the practical techniques required to plan lessons that will develop writing skills for specific text types.
Developing resource files will show you how to apply the practical techniques required to organise materials and/or resources around grammar points, topics, levels and communicative functions.
Description of Certificate IV Elective Units
You must choose and complete one of the following Elective Units:
This unit will teach you the skills and knowledge required to work with early childhood learners. You will learn the practical techniques required to examine the characteristics of the language use of learners at this stage of life and development and their learning goals, with application to appropriate ESL classroom techniques.
Teach ESL to primary school-aged children teaches the necessary skills and knowledge required to work with primary school-aged children. You will learn the practical techniques required to examine the characteristics of language use of learners at this stage of life and development and their learning goals, with application to appropriate ESL classroom techniques
Through completion of this unit you will gain the skills and knowledge required to work with teenage learners. You will learn the practical techniques required to examine the characteristics of language use of learners at this stage of life and development and their learning goals, with application to appropriate ESL classroom techniques.
This unit you teach you the skills and knowledge required to incorporate music, art and drama into the ESL classroom. You will learn the practical techniques required to use music, art and drama across a variety of ages and stages of development in English as a second language
This unit address the skills and knowledge required to use technology as an integral part of some ESL learning activities. It addresses the practical techniques required to teach some basic technology literacy, develop a portfolio of internet sites, software designed for ESL learning and other technology-based activities which can contribute to the learning process.
Through completion of this unit you will gain the skills and knowledge required to working with volunteer workers in ESL programs. You will learn the practical techniques required to recruit, train, monitor and support volunteers.
This unit will give you the skills and knowledge required to set up and coordinate community-based ESL programs. You will learn the practical techniques required to set up an ESL class outside of formal learning institutions. You will look at local situations and requirements for an ESL program.
This unique practical placement provides you with 6 hours of observation of teaching strategies, techniques in a ‘real’ classroom context to prepare you for your 6 hrs of practical teaching which meets all NEAS/CRICOS/ELICOS/ASQA standards.
Other TESOL course providers offer the 10695NAT Certificate IV in TESOL course code, why and how is TESOL Australia’s version different?
So how exactly is signing up through TESOL Australia to complete the 10695NAT – Certificate IV in TESOL a bigger advantage than signing up through another course provider?
- Practicum: 6 hrs of teaching observation videos provided. Two practicum options available (Free self-arranged or additional $250 fee practicum experience)
- Mentoring and support beyond the course: when you study a TESOL course with us, that is only one step in your complete journey in the TESOL industry. We are absolutely committed to being your support and mentor through the entire process. Whether you are wanting to become a TESOL teacher and/or will eventually start your own TESOL training organisation.
- Job support:you will have a guaranteed Online teaching ‘job interview’ on completion of your course as well as, job support for teaching in Australia and overseas
A course code like the 10695NAT refers to the accredited qualification that is used to develop the training. The accredited qualification outlines what information Units, Elements and Performance criteria must be trained and assessed in order for the course to be accredited.
All providers of this course must follow the accredited course document. The training package however, does not include the additional resources, materials, local and international industry knowledge or the job support network that TESOL Australia provides along with the accredited course.
Sound ability in written and spoken English is necessary to be accepted into and complete this Certificate IV level, LTi TESOL course. You will need to provide one of the following forms of evidence. If you are unable to provide evidence of English proficiency, please contact email@example.com or call 07 3806 4802 to discuss available options (entry test/phone interview).
Evidence of English proficiency examples (one of the following):
- Successfully completed year 12 English or achieved a very high level completion of year 10 English
- Completed a Certificate III or higher qualification (in English in Australian Qualifications Framework)
- Enrolled in or completed any level university studies (in English)
- IELTS score of 5.5 or higher (international students)
Assessment is structured with a series of tasks that address the various aspects of each unit. Your trainer will give you guidance on how to complete assessment tasks and provide you with feedback throughout the course.
All assessments must be submitted via the LTi TESOL Online Student System, unless a special exemption has been applied.