Certificate IV in TESOL - A calling, not just a job!
Take a journey into international education and find work that you’ll love by completing this Certificate IV in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).
Complete this nationally accredited qualification for a career in ESL teaching, both in Australia and overseas. Join Australia’s 3rd largest export industry today and become a part of the rapidly growing US$63 billion global ESL education market.
Study the online Certificate IV in TESOL from anywhere in Australia, including: Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Canberra, Perth, Darwin, and Hobart.
The Certificate IV in TESOL will give you the knowledge and practical skills to Teach English as Second Language in a variety of classroom settings.
Why do your Certificate IV in TESOL with TESOL Australia?
Exclusive BONUS Unit 'Teach ESL Online'!
1. Bonus Unit: Teach ESL Online
This unit has been specifically designed in consultation with online ESL schools to train you in all aspects of teaching online including: bridging the technology gap, online classroom management, how to play games online, online teaching delivery and more.
2. Teaching Online Work Experience — 3 hrs (in addition to Cert IV 6hrs practicum)
Take advantage of our online teaching network with our Teaching English online work experience. Gain valuable work experience by teaching with a real online Chinese English school.
3. Guaranteed Job Interview with an Online ESL school
Hit the ground running with a guaranteed online job interview. Teach English online from the comfort of your own home. Earn great pay and have the flexibility to set your own work schedule.
$1,675 (Now $1,425 – Save $250 – September Only)
10695NAT – Certificate IV in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
The accredited course is provided through Language Training Institute (LTi), Registered Training Provider No. 30173
10 Units – 9 Core (clustered) 1 Elective
Nominal Study Hours:
580 – 650 hours
6 hours observation, 6 hours practice teaching
RPL — Recognition of Prior Learning
Do you want to fast-track your studies?
What is RPL?
- Fast-track receiving a new qualification in a fraction of the time.
- Save time & money by taking advantage of your previous experience or qualifications.
- In some cases, little to no study is required.
- Streamlined process for experienced trainers & teachers.
- RPL Price Only $1,275 (Save $400).
What kind of evidence will I need to provide?
1. For each RPL unit: Work Product (i.e. lesson plans, resources, worksheets, and materials used for teaching etc.).
2. A letter of reference from a supervisor, employer, or colleague.
3. Relevant teaching or training certificates and transcripts.
Find out if you're eligible! Contact us today!
Through completion of this unit you will be able to understand the relationships between language and culture, language and learning. It addresses the impact these dynamics have on the ESL classroom, and applications within ESL teaching.
Analyse the English Language gives an understanding of the functional nature of the English language. Study of this unit also provides knowledge on the language choices that are associated with a variety of social or functional purposes. In addition, this unit also provides basic knowledge of TESOL methodology and the application to specific learning goals.
This unit comprehensively addresses specific aspects of English grammar. You will gain knowledge of the practical techniques required to familiarise ESL students with a variety of grammatical concepts.
Through completion of this unit you will be able to understand the sound-spelling relationships in English. You will also learn how to apply techniques required to teach and spelling and pronunciation.
Teach speaking explores the functional nature of spoken language use. You will learn practical techniques required to for developing the spoken English skills of ESL learners.
This unit will assist you to understand and apply practical techniques required to develop listening skills and strategies
Through completion of this unit you will be able to understand and apply the practical techniques for developing the skill to read a range of authentic or published texts.
In the unit teach writing you will undertake analysis of written texts. You will also learn the practical techniques required to plan lessons that will develop writing skills for specific text types.
Developing resource files will show you how to apply the practical techniques required to organise materials and/or resources around grammar points, topics, levels and communicative functions.
Description of Certificate IV Elective Units
You must choose and complete one of the following Elective Units:
This unit will teach you the skills and knowledge required to work with early childhood learners. You will learn the practical techniques required to examine the characteristics of the language use of learners at this stage of life and development and their learning goals, with application to appropriate ESL classroom techniques.
Teach ESL to primary school-aged children teaches the necessary skills and knowledge required to work with primary school-aged children. You will learn the practical techniques required to examine the characteristics of language use of learners at this stage of life and development and their learning goals, with application to appropriate ESL classroom techniques
Through completion of this unit you will gain the skills and knowledge required to work with teenage learners. You will learn the practical techniques required to examine the characteristics of language use of learners at this stage of life and development and their learning goals, with application to appropriate ESL classroom techniques.
This unit you teach you the skills and knowledge required to incorporate music, art and drama into the ESL classroom. You will learn the practical techniques required to use music, art and drama across a variety of ages and stages of development in English as a second language.
This unit address the skills and knowledge required to use technology as an integral part of some ESL learning activities. It addresses the practical techniques required to teach some basic technology literacy, develop a portfolio of internet sites, software designed for ESL learning and other technology-based activities which can contribute to the learning process.
Through completion of this unit you will gain the skills and knowledge required to working with volunteer workers in ESL programs. You will learn the practical techniques required to recruit, train, monitor and support volunteers.
This unit will give you the skills and knowledge required to set up and coordinate community-based ESL programs. You will learn the practical techniques required to set up an ESL class outside of formal learning institutions. You will look at local situations and requirements for an ESL program.
This unique practical placement provides you with 6 hours of observation of teaching strategies, techniques in a ‘real’ classroom context to prepare you for your 6 hrs of practical teaching which meets all NEAS/CRICOS/ELICOS/ASQA standards.
Your practicum, your way.
The Certificate IV in TESOL comes with a 6 hr teaching observation and 6 hr teaching practice, to prepare you in your ESL teaching role.
As part of your online theory training, you will have the option of completing the 6 hr teaching observation through guided videos to prepare you for your 6 hr teaching practice.
The 6 hr teaching practice is then completed with 5 or more English as a Second Language learners (International students/migrants) in an in-class setting.
To complete the 6 hr teaching practice you can choose one of the following options:
Free: Self-arranged 6 hr teaching practice at an ESL school, TAFE or migrant/community centre observed by a qualified TESOL teacher (support provided in how to find and arrange your own teaching practicum). This may be your own workplace with ESL students or find a school willing to allow you to do the practice teaching free of charge (Host school does not charge a fee to TESOLAU/ LTI or you the student). Qualified TESOL teacher – ELICOS standards – degree any field, Cert IV in TESOL or higher TESOL qualification)
Pay an additional $250 fee for assessment of your own self-arranged video recorded 6 hr teaching practice (support given in how to set up and conduct the lessons).
Pay an additional $350 fee for an arranged Practicum experience: This fee is payable after completion of your theory units or prior to the start of the Practicum (whichever comes first). (This fee covers arrangements made with institutions or supervisors who make it possible for you to gain access to their time, facilities and students. A very professional addition to your resume which can pay off in the long run when applying for teaching positions.
Don’t be caught out completing a cheaper TESOL course only to find that there is no additional practicum option provided and that, you cannot graduate until you complete a practicum. Or, complete a practicum that does not meet NEAS/ELICOS standards, which may result in ELICOS schools not accepting your qualification.
NEAS contact for practicum standards: 1300 76 44 45.
Course delivery and timing
The Certificate IV in TESOL is offered Online with:
- Personalised training – one-on-one phone and online support with a fully qualified and experienced TESOL professional
- Any location – study in the comfort of your own home or a chosen location
- Commencement – no set start dates or intake, begin whenever YOU want
- Self-paced study – accelerate your study or take your time. You have up to 2 years to complete your course
- Practicum options
How our unique online learning works
- You will receive an email with login details for the Learning Portal
- You will have access to all course materials, training videos & assessments
- You will work through your downloadable assessments (allowing you to work offline as well as online)
- You will submit your assessment document through the Learning Portal
- Your trainer will mark your assessment and email you feedback
- If there are still some areas that are ‘Not Yet Competent’, your trainer will give you guidance in what is required to complete the task
Sound ability in written and spoken English is necessary to be accepted into and complete this Certificate IV level, LTi TESOL course. You will need to provide one of the following forms of evidence. If you are unable to provide evidence of English proficiency, please contact email@example.com or call 07 3806 4802 to discuss available options (entry test/phone interview).
Evidence of English proficiency examples (one of the following):
- Successfully completed year 12 English or achieved a very high level completion of year 10 English
- Completed a Certificate III or higher qualification (in English in Australian Qualifications Framework)
- Enrolled in or completed any level university studies (in English)
- IELTS score of 5.5 or higher (international students)
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) leverages your previous studies and experience to give you a reduced study load.
To determine whether your particular qualifications and/or experience are applicable, email firstname.lastname@example.org and request an RPL pack.
This course may be funded in full or part by a Job Agency, Government or Private organization (Disability, Military, Voluntary…) check with any organization you are associated with.
TESOL teaching will allow you to work in far more places than just about any other job on the planet. There is a lot of variety in the type of work you can do once you start your career as a TESOL teacher. TESOL teaching work is available all year round and the demand for teachers in China and other Asian countries is huge constantly expanding. In Europe and South America there is a consistent need for TESOL teachers as well as in the Middle East.
The demand for Online TESOL teachers is increasing rapidly with new online schools starting up almost daily around the globe. In Australia ESL work is constantly available in all cities and major regional areas. Anywhere, you find universities and TAFE colleges with international students there will be a need for TESOL teachers. If you are looking for an in-demand job then TESOL teaching is for you!
The countries and positions that you can work in with the Certificate IV in TESOL will vary depending on your additional education outside of the course.
See ‘Job prospects’ below for a non-exhaustive list:
- Online (anywhere)
- Study tours (Australia & overseas)
- Japan (if under 30)
- Czech Republic
- Online (anywhere)
- Japan (any age)
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
- Saudi Arabia
The Certificate IV in TESOL will qualify you to teach in the following TESOL fields:
- All levels within General English (GE)
- Teaching Adults
- Teaching Children in ESL/ELICOS language schools (Bluecard required)
- Teaching online
- Teaching in TAFE (A Bachelor’s degree plus Certificate IV in Training & Assessment may be required)
- ESL assistant teacher in government schools (may need Certificate III in Education support or higher)*
* Pls note for ESL Teacher in government mainstream schools must have an Education / Teaching degree (States & Teaching positions vary. For K – 12 teaching positions check with Education Dept. for requirements in your state)
*Depending on Elective Unit chosen
Graduates with existing qualifications or experience
In addition to the above outcomes a Certificate IV in TESOL graduate who also holds a Tertiary level degree can apply for work in the following capacities
- Teaching English at a National ELT (English Language Teaching) Accreditation Scheme (NEAS) accredited training centre in Australia (see below Vocational Outcomes within Australia for more information)
- Teaching in overseas institutions in higher level positions where a university degree is required or preferred in addition to a TESOL qualification
Some potential employment opportunities involving the delivery of accredited English Courses in Australia may only be possible where the graduate also holds a Vocational Education teaching qualification such as the Certificate IV in Training and Education (TAE40110) – or equivalent.
Graduates with no existing qualifications or experience:
Graduates who completes the Certificate IV in TESOL and do not have any additional qualifications (in any area of training/education) or experience may find employment in a variety of capacities including the following:
- Teaching English to groups of students visiting Australia on short to medium term study or English focus tours
- Teaching conversational English in Australian language schools where a higher education degree is not required
- Teaching migrants for the development of general English skills
- Teaching ESL to students on an individual or small group tutorial basis
10695NAT Certificate IV in TESOL – ESL/ELICOS teacher (Direct Credit into Diploma of TESOL)
10688NAT Diploma of TESOL – Head teacher ESL/ELICOS centre (Direct Credit into Master of TESOL)
Master of TESOL – Academic Manager ESL/ELICOS centre
Qualification and experience requirements may vary between educational institutions and countries
*Qualification and experience requirements may vary between education institutions and countries
Once you have completed the 9 Core units in the 10695NAT Certificate IV in TESOL, you can choose to upgrade directly into the nationally accredited LTi 10688NAT Diploma of TESOL.
The Certificate IV in TESOL course content has been created by LTi with passion through a collaboration of experienced TESOL professionals who have worked in the industry both in Australia and overseas.
This TESOL course includes the most up-to-date types of assessment and resources that are required to accurately reflect the curriculum, syllabus, teaching techniques, and resources currently used in ESL teaching in Australia and overseas.
Great care has been taken to offer a course that ensures:
- All content meets the qualification and standard requirements (ASQA/NEAS/ELICOS)
- All content is relevant to ESL in Australia
- All resources included are ‘authentic’ materials currently used in actual Australian ESL/ELICOS schools to ensure you are up-to-date with current teaching
- Excerpts included from published ESL teaching course books to help you prepare for the ‘real’ classroom
- The teaching practicum is conducted in a ‘real’ ESL teaching environment by TESOL professionals
Upgrade option into the 10688NAT Diploma of TESOL
What's the difference between other TESOL course providers of the Certificate IV in TESOL?
So how exactly is signing up through TESOL Australia to complete the Certificate IV in TESOL 10695NAT a bigger advantage than signing up through another course provider?
- Practicum: 6 hrs of teaching observation videos provided. Three practicum options available (Free self-arranged or additional $250 fee practicum experience)
- Mentoring and support beyond the course: when you study a TESOL course with us, that is only one step in your complete journey in the TESOL industry. We are absolutely committed to being your support and mentor through the entire process. Whether you are wanting to become a TESOL teacher and/or will eventually start your own TESOL training organisation.
- Job support:you will have a guaranteed Online teaching ‘job interview’ on completion of your course as well as, job support for teaching in Australia and overseas
A course code like the 10695NAT refers to the accredited qualification that is used to develop the training. The accredited qualification outlines what information Units, Elements and Performance criteria must be trained and assessed in order for the course to be accredited.
All providers of this course must follow the accredited course document. The training package however, does not include the additional resources, materials, local and international industry knowledge or the job support network that TESOL Australia provides along with the accredited course.
Assessment is structured with a series of tasks that address the various aspects of each unit. Your trainer will give you guidance on how to complete assessment tasks and provide you with feedback throughout the course.
All assessments must be submitted via the LTi TESOL Online Student System, unless a special exemption has been applied.
Assessment is competency based which means that you will be graded as ‘competent’ (C) or ‘not yet competent’ (NYC). If you receive a NYC grade for a unit, you will be given another opportunity for reassessment and provided with specific feedback on the areas needing improvement. You will need to be assessed as competent in all of the assessment tasks in order to be awarded your qualification.
Payment and Refund Policy
LTi payment and refund policy states: there is no refund for any payment once it is made. If payment is through a payment plan you can withdraw at anytime without making further payment. A certificate will not be issued until all payments have been made.
Payment is $1,500 upfront at commencement followed in 3 months by a single remaining payment of $175. Practicum payments are made once all theory units have been completed and at time of Practicum booking see ‘Practicum’ section above for options and fees.
Students are required to read the LTI Student Handbook prior to enrollment.
Click the link below to download and read the Student Handbook:
LTI Student handbook
If you have any questions about the Handbook or Policies and Procedures in the Handbook contact email@example.com or 07 3806 4802 anytime.
Get in Touch with Us for a Nationally Accredited Cert IV in TESOL
When you complete your , you can ensure we will give you all the necessary skills and support to start your journey teaching English as a second language. We even give you job support once you’ve completed a TESOL Cert IV to help you get the foot in the door with your teaching career.
Don’t miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity and get in touch with us today. Send us an and we’ll be happy to take any of your questions. If you’re ready to open a new door, you can into our online TESOL Cert IV course!