CERTIFICATE IV IN TESOL
A Calling, Not Just A Job!
Take a journey into international education and study a nationally accredited Certificate IV in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). Learn the latest teaching techniques that will give you the knowledge and practical skills to teach English as a second language in any classroom setting. Whether you want to work in Australia, online or overseas, the choice is yours!
Join Australia’s 3rd largest export industry today and become a part of the rapidly growing US$63 billion global ESL education market. The demand for TESOL teachers continues to increase across the globe. Enjoy the flexibility of a well-paid career while being able to teach in class or wherever your laptop takes you.
Study the Certificate IV in TESOL online from anywhere in Australia, including: Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Canberra, Perth, Darwin, and Hobart. All you need is an internet connection!
This nationally accredited course is provided by SHEI – RTO: 45393.
Exclusive TESOL Australia Bonus Unit
The Inspirational & Transformational Teaching Method
The Inspirational & Transformational Teaching Method stands as a beacon of educational innovation, redefining the way knowledge is imparted and absorbed in the ESL classroom. Rooted in the belief that education should not only inform but also inspire, this method encourages teachers to ignite students’ passions and curiosity. By integrating real-world relevance into lessons, it cultivates a profound connection between learning ESL and its practical language applications.
These latest methods will give you an unmatchable competitive edge in the ESL teaching industry. Whether you work online, teach overseas or setup your own teaching business, this International TESOL Certificate will ensure you have the knowledge, training, skills and Certificate level qualification to set you apart.
$1,675 ($1,375 – Enrol Today – Save $300 – December Only) plus the practicum option payment of your choice (please see options below).
10773NAT – Certificate IV in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
SHEI – RTO: 45393.
Self-paced online with training videos, readings & assessments. Support via phone, email, zoom with qualified experienced trainers. Study duration full-time 12 months, part-time 18 months. (Practicum options listed below)
Theory: 12 Units
Teaching Practicum: 6 hours practice teaching
Nominal Study Hours:
800 hours (This is the maximum training package hours. However this does not reflect the actual study hours, which on average is much less.)
Approved for 20hrs Per Week Full-time study for 52 weeks – See Centrelink for eligibility
Bonus Unit: Teach Online
(Non-ASQA / CIV Unit) Includes: Online Work Experience with actual Online ESL School & Guaranteed Job Interview
Unlimited Downloads of ESL Lessons Specifically Designed for Teaching Online
Hire an ESL Teacher / Tutor
Professional Listing on the TESOL Australia Website of your ESL Teaching Services includes: A short video intro, CV & Preferred Contact
Students will develop and apply knowledge of cross cultural factors and TESOL contexts. They will analyse personal cultural assumptions and develop a basic understanding of different cultural backgrounds. They will develop skills, attitudes and knowledge to interact with different cultural groups with sensitivity, to identify individual differences and the needs of learners, to communicate effectively and to be prepared for cultural integration.
Students will learn how to help their learners to improve their pronunciation and speech. They will develop a basic knowledge of phonetics and the International Phonetic Alphabet. It includes knowledge and understanding of intonation, rhythm and stress in the English language. They will also learn how to identify vowel sounds and consonant blends that are likely to cause difficulty for learners and apply techniques to overcome learners’ difficulties.
Students will learn how to help their learners to improve their knowledge of grammar, to use grammar correctly and apply basic grammatical concepts. Students will learn how to explain language in grammatical terms, and recognise and correct grammatical errors. They will learn how to apply the basic terminology of traditional grammar as detailed in grammar textbooks and websites.
Students will learn how to design, develop, adapt, implement and review resources to support EFL/ESL learning for different target groups of learners, including different language levels (beginner, intermediate and advanced) and different age groups (primary, middle school, university and adults). Learning resources are any materials that have been developed to address a particular area of English language learning. They enhance and support the effectiveness of the learning process and provide guidance, materials, stimulation and relevant information to help achieve the learning goals.
Students will learn how to help their learners develop their reading and writing skills. They will learn how to assess their learners’ reading and writing skills, identify common difficulties and problems encountered by English language learners and develop strategies to address these issues.
Students will learn how to help their learners develop their speaking and listening skills. They will learn how to assess their learners’ speaking and listening skills, identify common difficulties and problems encountered by English language learners and develop strategies to address these issues.
Students will learn how to develop and implement tests and activities to assess their learner’s abilities and progress, and in the process to spot deficiencies that require improvement. They will learn how to interpret the results of activities and tests and utilise these results to plan future learning activities.
Students will learn about various TESOL methodologies and how to apply them. They will learn how to plan English language skills development programs to meet the needs of their learners and select delivery methods and approaches based on second language acquisition theories. They will also plan learning activities based on their learners’ profiles, characteristics, stage of language acquisition and learning goals.
Students will learn how to help their learners to prepare for English language tests. They will learn how to understand the features, strengths and requirements of a range of extensively used English language tests so that they can help their learners to select and prepare for the test most suitable to their needs.
Students will learn how to use Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) to help their learners. They will learn about various tools such as specially developed software, apps or other items of technology so that they can select the most appropriate tool, help their students to do likewise, and use it to help their learners improve their language.
Students will learn how to help children learn English through the use of creative strategies involving a variety of activities that recognise children’s unique abilities and needs. They will encourage their learners’ participation and learning by using a range of creative strategies involving music, drama and story-telling, games and sporting activities, art and craft, and media.
Students will learn how to plan, organise and deliver training to groups of learners, typically in classrooms. This unit is a common one for a range of training qualifications at Certificate IV level in Australia, including the 10773NAT Certificate IV in TESOL. Students will learn about industry expectations and compliance regarding planning and delivery, including documentation of learner needs, training programs, training sessions, resource use, risk management, quality assurance and improvement, and records management.
Bonus Unit: Teach ESL Online
This unit has been specifically designed in consultation with online ESL schools to train you in all aspects of teaching online including: bridging the technology gap, online classroom management, how to play games online, online teaching delivery and more.
Teaching Online Work Experience — 3 hrs (in addition to Cert IV in TESOL – 6hrs practicum)
Take advantage of our online teaching network with our Teaching English online work experience. Gain valuable work experience by teaching with a real online Chinese English school.
Guaranteed Job Interview with an Online ESL school
Hit the ground running with a guaranteed online job interview. Teach English online from the comfort of your own home. Earn great pay and have the flexibility to set your own work schedule.
Your practicum, your way.
The Certificate IV in TESOL comes with a 6 hr teaching observation and 6 hr teaching practice, to prepare you in your ESL teaching role.
As part of your online theory training, you will have the option of completing the 6 hr teaching observation through guided videos to prepare you for your 6 hr teaching practice.
The 6 hr teaching practice is then completed with 8 or more English as a Second Language learners (International students/migrants) in an in-class setting.
To complete the 6 hr teaching practice you can choose one of the following options:
Practice Teaching involves:
- observing experienced English teachers
- doing at least 6 hours of supervised teaching
Option 1: No additional fee if you have an arrangement with a school to complete 6hrs of supervised teaching practice with a Certificate IV or higher qualified ESL teacher with 8 or more ESL students.
Option 2: $150 for assessment by a qualified TESOL trainer of a self-recorded 6hr teaching practice with 8 or more ESL learners.
Option 3: $250 for a TESOL Australia fully arranged online teaching practice which includes mentoring and supervising by a fully qualified ESL teacher and TESOL Assessor with ESL students and virtual classroom set up provided.
Don’t be caught out completing a cheaper TESOL course only to find that there is no additional practicum option provided and that, you cannot graduate until you complete a practicum. Or, complete a practicum that does not meet NEAS/ELICOS standards, which may result in ELICOS schools not accepting your qualification.
NEAS contact for practicum standards: 1300 76 44 45.
Vickie a Certificate IV in TESOL graduate on completing the course and her TESOL career
- Completed the course and learnt teaching skills
- TESOL Australia Job Support team helped her find a job
- Became an ESL and IELTS teacher and is now a Director of Studies in an Australian language school
Recent Graduate Leroy on completing the course & getting a job
Pacific English Study – Wanted Online English Teachers
RPL — Recognition of Prior Learning
Do you want to fast-track your studies?
What is RPL?
- Fast-track receiving a new qualification in a fraction of the time.
- Save time & money by taking advantage of your previous experience or qualifications.
- In some cases, little to no study is required.
- Streamlined process for experienced trainers & teachers.
What kind of evidence will I need to provide?
1. For each RPL unit: Work Product (i.e. lesson plans, resources, worksheets, and materials used for teaching etc.).
2. A letter of reference from a supervisor, employer, or colleague.
3. Relevant teaching or training certificates and transcripts.
Course delivery and timing
The Certificate IV in TESOL is offered Online with:
- Personalised training – one-on-one phone and online support with a fully qualified and experienced TESOL professional
- Any location – study in the comfort of your own home or a chosen location
- Commencement – no set start dates or intake, begin whenever YOU want
- Self-paced study – accelerate your study or take your time:
– 12 months full-time
– 18 months part-time
- Practicum options
How the unique online learning platform works
- You will receive an email with login details for the Learning Portal
- You will have access to all course materials, training videos & assessments
- You will work through your downloadable assessments (allowing you to work offline as well as online)
- You will submit your assessment document through the Learning Portal
- Your trainer will mark your assessment and email you feedback
- If there are still some areas that are ‘Not Yet Competent’, your trainer will give you guidance in what is required to complete the task
Sound ability in written and spoken English is necessary to be accepted into and complete this Certificate IV in TESOL course. You will need to provide one of the following forms of evidence. If you are unable to provide evidence of English proficiency, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0422 798 843 to discuss available options (entry test/phone interview).
Evidence of English proficiency examples (one of the following):
- Successfully completed year 12 English or achieved a very high level completion of year 10 English
- Completed a Certificate III or higher qualification (in English in Australian Qualifications Framework)
- Enrolled in or completed any level university studies (in English)
- IELTS score of 5.5 or higher (international students)
This course may be funded in full or part by a Job Agency or Organization (Disability, Military, Voluntary). Check with your associated organization.
TESOL teaching will allow you to work in far more places than just about any other job on the planet. There is a lot of variety in the type of work you can do once you start your career as a TESOL teacher. TESOL teaching work is available all year round and the demand for teachers in China and other Asian countries is huge constantly expanding. In Europe and South America there is a consistent need for TESOL teachers as well as in the Middle East.
The demand for Online TESOL teachers is increasing rapidly with new online schools starting up almost daily around the globe. In Australia ESL work is constantly available in all cities and major regional areas. Anywhere, you find universities and TAFE colleges with international students there will be a need for TESOL teachers. If you are looking for an in-demand job then TESOL teaching is for you!
The countries and positions that you can work in with the Cert IV in TESOL will vary depending on your additional education outside of the course.
See ‘Job prospects’ below for a non-exhaustive list:
– Without Degree: Study Tours & Online
– With Degree:
– Without Degree: Study Tours & Online
– With Degree:
All ESL Schools
Without a Degree
With a Degree
With a Degree
The Certificate IV in TESOL will qualify you to teach in the following TESOL fields:
- All levels within General English (GE)
- Teaching Adults
- Teaching Children in ESL/ELICOS language schools (Bluecard required)
- Teaching online
- Teaching in TAFE (A Bachelor’s degree plus Certificate IV in Training & Assessment may be required)
- ESL assistant teacher in government schools (may need Certificate III in Education support or higher)**Please note for ESL Teachers in government mainstream schools must have an Education/Teaching degree (States & Teaching positions vary. For K – 12 teaching positions check with Education Dept. for requirements in your state)
Graduates with existing qualifications
In addition to the above outcomes an Certificate IV in TESOL graduate who also holds a Tertiary level degree can apply for work in the following capacities:
- Teaching English at a National ELT (English Language Teaching) Accreditation Scheme (NEAS) accredited training centre in Australia (see below Vocational Outcomes within Australia for more information)
- Teaching in overseas institutions in higher level positions where a university degree is required or preferred in addition to a TESOL qualification
Some potential employment opportunities involving the delivery of accredited English Courses in Australia may only be possible where the graduate also holds a Vocational Education teaching qualification such as the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
Graduates without existing qualifications:
Graduates who complete the Certificate IV in TESOL and do not have any additional qualifications (in any area of training/education) may find employment in a variety of capacities including the following:
- Teaching English to groups of students visiting Australia on short to medium term study or English focus tours
- Teaching conversational English in Australian language schools where a higher education degree is not required
- Teaching migrants for the development of general English skills
- Teaching ESL to students on an individual or small group tutorial basis
- Teaching English Online
The Certificate IV in TESOL course content has been created with passion through a collaboration of experienced TESOL professionals who have worked in the industry both in Australia and overseas.
This TESOL course includes the most up-to-date types of assessment and resources that are required to accurately reflect the curriculum, syllabus, teaching techniques, and resources currently used in ESL teaching in Australia and overseas.
Great care has been taken to offer a course that ensures:
- All content meets the qualification and standard requirements (ASQA/NEAS/ELICOS)
- All content is relevant to ESL in Australia
- All resources included are ‘authentic’ materials currently used in actual Australian ESL/ELICOS schools to ensure you are up-to-date with current teaching
- Excerpts included from published ESL teaching course books to help you prepare for the ‘real’ classroom
- The teaching practicum is conducted in a ‘real’ ESL teaching environment by TESOL professionals
What's the difference between studying the Certificate IV in TESOL offered by TESOL Australia or another course provider?
So how exactly is signing up through TESOL Australia to enrol and complete the Certificate IV in TESOL 10773NAT a bigger advantage than signing up through another course provider?
- Practicum: 6 hrs of teaching observation videos provided. Practicum options available.
- Mentoring and support beyond the course: when you study a TESOL course with us, that is only one step in your complete journey in the TESOL industry. We are absolutely committed to being your support and mentor through the entire process. Whether you are wanting to become a TESOL teacher and/or will eventually start your own TESOL training organisation.
- Job support: you will have a guaranteed Online teaching ‘job interview’ on completion of your course as well as, job support for teaching in Australia and overseas.
- ITTM: The Inspirational & Transformational Teaching Method. Inspire and motivate your students, while cultivating their passion to learn with the latest teaching methodology.
- Teach ESL Online Bonus Unit: Unlock a world of opportunities with our specialised unit dedicated to teaching English online. It covers the latest technology with teaching techniques, empowering you to connect with students globally from the comfort of your own home. (This includes an extra 3 hours of real teaching practicum.)
- ESL Library: Unlimited Downloads of ESL Lessons Specifically Designed for Teaching Online.
- Professional Development: Stay at the forefront of your professional development with our latest videos and podcasts. Our content offers a convenient and immersive way to explore recent trends, best practices, and innovative ideas, ensuring you’re always ahead in your TESOL journey.
A course code like the 10773NAT refers to the accredited qualification that is used to develop the training. The accredited qualification outlines what information Units, Elements and Performance criteria must be trained and assessed in order for the course to be accredited.
All providers of this course must follow the accredited course document. The training package however, does not include the additional resources, materials, local and international industry knowledge or the job support network that TESOL Australia provides along with the accredited course.
Assessment is structured with a series of tasks that address the various aspects of each unit. Your trainer will give you guidance on how to complete assessment tasks and provide you with feedback throughout the course.
All assessments must be submitted via the TESOL Online Student System, unless a special exemption has been applied.
Assessment is competency based which means that you will be graded as ‘competent’ (C) or ‘not yet competent’ (NYC). If you receive a NYC grade for a unit, you will be given another opportunity for reassessment and provided with specific feedback on the areas needing improvement. You will need to be assessed as competent in all of the assessment tasks in order to be awarded your qualification.
Payment and Refund Policy
Payment and refund policy states: there is no refund for any payment once it is made: SHEI-Student-Handbook
$1,675 ($1,375 – Enrol Today – December Only) and practicum option payment (please see options above) in 6 months. Includes all course materials & costs associated with practical teaching arrangements that ensure you can fully complete the course & meet industry & employer requirements.
Students are required to read the Student Handbook prior to enrollment.
Click the link below to download and read the Student Handbook: SHEI-Participant-Handbook
If you have any questions about the Handbook or Policies and Procedures in the Handbook contact email@example.com or 0422 798 843 anytime.
Fill out the form below and we will be in touch soon