ESL Job in Mexico
Start date: October 2023
Our school: The Universidad de la Sierra Sur (UNSIS) is located in Miahuatlán de Porfirio Diaz. Our city is a small, rural city, but there are a number of other destinations nearby: San Jose del Pacifico (1 hour), Oaxaca City (2 hours), and beaches such as Puerto Angel, Zipolite, or Mazunte (5-6 hours).
Job description: We work 40 hours a week with 25 hours of classroom teaching. We offer 7 levels of general English taking students from A1 to B1+. Professors have 2 levels per semester.
Salary: 16,000 MXN per month, plus summer and Christmas bunses. The university also pays into health (IMSS), retirement, and housing (INFONAVIT) funds.
Benefits: Become tenured after 1 year. Get permenant Mexican residency after 4 years. Be eligible for Mexican citizenship after 5 years. Receive a year of paid sabbatical after 6 years.
Vacation: National holidays as well as five weeks of paid vacation are given throughout the year (1 week in April, 2 weeks in July, 2 weeks in December).
Covid policy: Teachers are required to show proof of vaccination against Covid-19. Masks are worn on campus and in classes.
- Prepare and carry out lessons and assessments
- Be supportive and responsive to the needs of the students
- Collaborate on departmental projects
- Fulfill administrative obligations (maintaining attendance lists and grades)
- Be a native English speaker
- Hold a passport from a country where English is an official language
- Have BA or MA
- Have a TESOL certificate
- Have an original birth certificate
- Have apostilles for teaching certificate and Bachelor’s degree OR be able to obtain them (process and cost vary per country)
- Be able to commit to the minimum 6 months of the first contract
- Have 1 year of teaching experience or more
- Have experience teaching TOEFL, IELTS, or Cambridge
- Have a working knowledge of Spanish
- Be interested in staying for 1 year or longer