ESL Job in Honduras
TERM of COMMITMENT: one year renewable, beginning July 11, 2023
LOCATION: Comayagua, Comayagua, Honduras
ABOUT LMI: The mission of Leadership Mission International is to develop a new generation of ethical women leaders by providing exceptional academics, leadership and community development experiences. We are a faith-based, U.S. nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization and public charity. We work in Honduras through The Leadership Center, where we educate classes of 15-20 young women each year over the course of two years so that they will return to their communities as leaders, reinvest in their local economies, and initiate economic and ethical progress in Honduras. We, in part, see our mission at The Leadership Center as reflecting God’s love to those who we seek to serve. We practice and promote core leadership values throughout all levels of the organization:
❖ We foster confidence, resilience & perseverance.
❖ We inspire growth & transformation.
❖ We build faith-based community that is safe, diverse, & inclusive.
❖ We practice personal initiative & leadership.
❖ We act with courage & integrity.
We honor these values with the purpose of graduating women with strong hearts, strong minds, and strong voices who hold a renewed sense of power and many options for their future.
The young women who are selected to attend The Leadership Center have already navigated significant challenges to complete high school. The Leadership Center grants students’ full scholarships so that upon graduation they may start their own businesses, become teachers, enroll in higher education, or work with nonprofit organizations focused on development. The young women come determined, motivated, inspired, and grateful. Your role is to facilitate opportunities for learning that will capitalize on the potential of each student in your classroom.
To be successful in this role, you will need to have a passion for:
- Advocating for the needs and priorities of young women with a wide array of backgrounds, most coming from communities lacking resources and opportunities
- Actively building long-term relationships with students, other staff, and community members
- Supporting social justice initiatives for equity and access
- Developing innovative programs and practices that strengthen academics and communities
- Driving for positive instructional results for each student
- Teach English classes 4-5 hours per weekday
- Tutor students in English language acquisition approximately 1-2 hours per weekday
- Mentor students and encourage them in their personal goals and leadership development
- Collaborate with other staff members
- Optional: Participate and/or lead ministry activities/events on campus
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
A successful applicant will have a professional career that reflects a commitment to building collaborative, productive, and respectful relationships among colleagues and community members. This career orientation should be complemented by strengths in the following areas:
- TESOL Certificate
- Adaptable team-player
- Innovative planner and developer
- Effective classroom instructor
- Understanding of English grammar foundations
- ESL Teaching Experience
- Work experience in a multicultural setting
- Experience mentoring and/or discipling post-high school graduates in a vocational setting
- Gain understanding of Honduran culture & context from Honduran teachers & leaders
- Gain skills in community development and sustainable agriculture practices
- A monthly stipend depending on experience.
- A monthly health care reimbursement of up to 100 USD.
- In-country residency cost covered.
- Room and board provided.
- Nine weeks of vacation throughout the year during quarter breaks, providing opportunities to travel throughout Central America.
One of the great benefits of The Leadership Center is its safe, rural environment, where we practice sustainable agriculture and engage in clean living practices. TLC does not have the infrastructure of a university in the developed world: quite the contrary. You will live off the grid. Sometimes, electricity, water, or Wi-Fi will go out. If you can go with the flow, improvise, and smile when things do not go as planned, you will help contribute to the positive atmosphere.